Re: OT but Dodge related fuel pump

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 16:16:05 EST

Bob Tom wrote:

> '96 Dodge Grand Caravan ES, 3.8L, high mileage.
>
> Turning a corner about a block from home yesterday
> and the engine shut off and will not restart. Starter
> cranks over. Battery (red top) is about month old.
> All electrics work. ASD relay, fuel pump relay,
> cps, cam position sensor "seem" okay. No codes,
> no MIL triggered.
>
> Suspect fuel pump. Turn ignition to ON and had
> someone listen at the back pass. side. No humming
> or whirling, just a faint click.
>
> Is there better way of checking the fuel pump so I can
> be pretty sure that it's the culprit before dropping the
> tank and replacing the pump?
>
> Any other areas I should check as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Hiyas Bob! When Christine's fuel pump died at the BBQ - I tested to see
if there was voltage at the harness that plugs into the pump. I had 12
volts there but the pump wasn't working. So it was pretty easy to
determine what the problem was. I don't know what the situation is on a
1996 Caravan, but I know that you have to drop the tank to even get to
the fuel pump wire harness, on older models. (older meaning early 90s -
that I'm sure of)

Couldn't tell you if that is the case on the 96. MultiMeters are Your
Best Friend in situations like this.

Why do you suspect the fuel pump? Based only that you couldn't hear it
kick in? Typically you will hear an initial surge as the pump kicks up
pressure when the key is turned to the on position but not start - then
turning to start kicks the pump in again.

Have you checked to see if you have spark? I had a power wire to the
PCM on my 87 Ranger break, hitting a bump which killed the engine. Took
me a few days with a multimeter to trace down the electrical problem.

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!