Re: How to use 4x4

From: TerribleTom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 18:33:30 EST

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> On Mon, February 7, 2005 4:51 pm, droo said:
>
>>Yeah. Lets you get it into 4x4 low real easy. Doesn't stop you from
>>redlining it all the way to the store.
>

> That's why I was kind of wondering about the Dean's comment that "She had
> a hard time getting it into 4x4 but finally did". Not to mention it has
> little lights that light up to show her that she was already in 4x4 hi
> before even moving the dial. Had she even bothered to open her eyes, she
> should never have made such an idiotic mistake. I mean, just how much of
> a mental gerbil IS this woman? (No offense to gerbils.)
>
> I can almost see doing something like that with a lever operated transfer
> case if you weren't familiar with them. But the way they have things set
> up now, you almost have to be trying in order to mess it up.
>
> Sheesh.

I don't know how the dial system on the Dak's works, but with the push
button 4x4 system in my mothers explorer - there are safeguards against
accidentally putting it in 4LO. You can put it into 4HI at any time,
but to get it in 4LO, the Ford has to be stopped, in Neutral and with
your foot on the brake. There is an LED indicator on the 4LO button that
will flash and turn off, indicating that the safe guard conditions have
not all been met. With it in Neutral and brake applied - the LED will
stay on when 4LO engages. There are also indicator lights on the
instrument cluster.

One time mom used 4 wheel drive - and said she pressed the 4LO button -
thinking LOW SPEED driving conditions. In a round about way thats kinda
sorta right, but I had to explain to her (again) how to work 4 wheel
drive. I freaked out initially thinking she drove 45 mins in 4LO. When
I saw the LED was still off - indicating the FOrd was not in gear... I
relaxed and thanked Ford for having built in safeguards heh.

I take it there are no such safeguards on the Dial Daks? How 'bout it
Dean - you out there? How'ed that chick have a difficult time "trying
to get it into 4 wheel drive"?

Do I detect a little amusment at the "Stupid Dakota Users" - from a
Jeeper? hehehe

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!
*Caution* Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.