Re: New idea on engine backfiring/popping/burbling

From: BlackDak93 (sbarnett56@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 14:57:22 EST

It does backfire, mostly between 1st and 2nd gears but the popping and
burbling which happen anytime I decelerate are, at least in my opinion, much
more than what could be considered normal. My exhaust is not extremely loud.
It is actually pretty mellow compared to a lot of trucks around here. I have
shorty headers, a high flow cat, a Magnaflow XL with 2.5" dual tailpipes.
The 2.5" tailpipes are probably too much, but I have had 2" and 2-1/4" and
it did the same thing. It did the same with a stock muffler, a turbo
muffler, a Flowmaster 50 an IMCO chamber muffler and with resonated tips and
a glass pack between the cat and the muffler. I even took the advice of the
mechanic and dropped the factory 3" pipe bwtween the cat to the muffler down
to a 2.5" pipe. I wish I had not done that. It made no difference and it
messed up a pretty sweet looking exhasust system.