Re: Subject: Re: New idea on engine backfiring/popping/burbling

From: Eric Huff (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 12:31:18 EST

> It isn't as loud as a gunshot, but it is pretty embarrassing when
> it does it. The rumbling and popping is more of a nuisance. I have
> been told it is unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust, usually
> caused by a small leak allowing oxygen in to the pipes. I have
> checked the system for leaks and had the muffler shops check it.
> None found. So that leaves me to ask the next question, why am I
> getting this unburned fuel into my exhaust?

Ignition problems? That would let fuel and oxygen get to the
exhaust.

Here's what it did on my valiant:

http://www.ehuffy.com/Mopar/exhaust/

I know it doesn't sound right, but for awhile the ignition probs
only showed up when slowing down. It must have been a loose
connection in the bulkhead that was flexed when i hit the breaks or
something lie that.

eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318