Re: Engine Lifting

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 08:25:47 EST

Hey, Gary...

<snip> Anyone here know the best way to lift an engine out of the engine
bay?? I
 got the 3.9 in the 98 torn down (intake manifold & heads are gone) and I
was
 thinking about putting the head bolts back in and using them to hook the
 chains to. But I thought I would take a break and ask if this was an
 acceptable practice or not.<snip>

I wouldn't do it. Your head bolts are not designed or heat-treated to be
"lifting devices." What I'd do is to measure the threads (diameter & TPI)
and consult a machinist handbook for eyebolt specifications. The machinist
handbook will give you the SAFE lifting capabilities of the threads you
have. Eyebolts ARE designed to be SAFE "lifting devices" PLUS they afford
you a real nice opening to insert a chain hook!
Just my .02k...

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
(where the HELL is my machinist handbook, dammit?)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed

WebPage URL: http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/