Re: Mobile 1 Oil

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 20:51:44 EST

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:56:56 -0800, Jay & Dana <jay&dana@telus.net> wrote:

> Anyone see the new Mobile 1 extended life oil commercial on TV? 15,000
> miles on one oil changed seems a little long to me.

I picked up 6QT of this stuff today at Wal-Mart (it was past time to
change my oil anyway). Here's what I discovered:
1) The "old" Mobil 1 wasn't even available on the shelf. I think I
saw a tag for it in one spot, but there was none to be seen. Only the
"15,000 mile extended life" stuff.
2) Price: About $1.25/QT more than the old Mobil 1. I walked out for
$31 and change after sales tax, it used to run me about $26.
3) The Fine Print(tm): If your engine is still under warranty, Mobil
says to stick to the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval.

So, what'd I get that's "different"? Um...new packaging. They
changed the bottles some, changed the labels, and I think they changed
the color-coded caps. Jerks.

When I returned my old oil, the guy at Advance (sorry Tom) said "wow,
that's thin oil!" He was shocked to learn that I'd drained it only an
hour earlier.