Re: On-board PC (was: console)

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 14:59:03 EST

""Jason Bleazard"" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote in message

> OK, now I'm intrigued. Jon and I talked about something similar a number
> of years ago, but never really came up with a fantastic solution. Of
> course, hardware has gotten considerably smaller since then.

Mini-ITX is the new form factor that's best suited for the job. It's just
under a 6" square (15cm x 15cm).
http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/spearhead/mini-itx/
http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=59

> What's the preferred hardware solution like for an on-board PC? I'm
> guessing you'd probably start with a regular power supply, micro ATX
> motherboard, maybe a laptop hard drive, and an LCD panel of course. Do
> you house it in a micro computer case, or does the console effectively
> become the case? Do you have any provisions for a keyboard?

They have power supplies that will take the 12vdc you get from your car and
switch it on/off (while allowing for OS shutdown time too) with the key.
It'll sense a key on and boot, and sense when you key off and send your PC
the shutdown signal as well. There's custom software out there that's
basically a replacement for the explorer shell in windows that will function
with a touth screen. Some people use the OSK, and others get small
keyboards off of ebay to use when they need them. I saw a combo travel
keyboard with a touchpad on it for like $15 that was only like 6 inches
long.

It seems as though laptop components are the preferred way to go, as they're
low power accessories that'll perform the same functions as the full voltage
stuff for your desktop. Guys put wifi cards and all sorts of things into
these PCs. It's actually pretty amazing what you can do if you're motivated
enough. I've come across people who have really gone the extra mile and
done a killer install, but there are still way more hacks out there at this
point in the game. I've seen some really terrible installs praised for
being really nice by the online communities, stuff that I wouldn't be caught
dead doing. You all know me though, I'm incredibly meticulous when it comes
to that sort of thing. YMMV I guess.

Anyway, I priced out everything that I'd need (minus the laptop parts that I
can get from work - we're tossing out a ton of old laptops lately) and I
think it's only going to end up costing me about $400 - $500 for the PC
parts and another maybe $200 to build the console.

> Sounds like a cool project.

It sounded that way to me as well, but we'll see if I actually follow
through with it. I've been wanting to build a console for one since I got
the truck. I just started shaping teh foam a few weeks ago and once that's
done it's a crapshoot as to whether I'll actually cover it in glass and put
something nice together or not.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L