Re: Re: RE: On-board PC (was: console)

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 10:43:35 EST

""Bernd D. Ratsch"" <fasstdak@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> All depends on how you save/compress them and at what rate. I save most
all
> of mine at 192K (128 is more than enough for good quality in most cases
> though).

I try and get the highest bitrates I can find. The lowest quality of stuff
that I have is 192k, with most being 320k.

> 90GB on a server? (That's it?) C'mon now...with todays drive
sizes...1/2T
> is where ya want to be. ;) I've got well over 40GB of compressed DVD's
> (MP4) on my secondary/video drive...those play in the MotivePC as well.

Well, theres a 200GB drive in there now, and 180GB of that is music/movies.
(I said 90GB of each, remember?) I hadn't really intended on using this
machine for this sort of thing, it just kind of happened that way. The DVD
files I have are direct disc rips, and are usually around 6 - 8 GB each (I
have a dual layer burner, so I don't have to compress). Since I have a 21"
monitor, I usually just mount the image to a virtual drive using Daemon
tools and play it through a DVD player app. Even across my network there's
no lagtime and the picture is great - much better than compressed video, and
this way I can still watch the stuff from europe without having to convert
it.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L