Re: Huges Cams....

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 17:16:48 EST

At 10:49 AM 3/20/05, you wrote:
>... do I need to get anything else????

At the minimum, get his recommended retainers from them.

>Will it work fine in the stock motor??

It really depends on what you want to do with it.

I have the Hughes 1418AL. I bracket race so to get the maximum performance
out of the cam (up beyond 5500 rpm), I needed to stronger than stock pushrods
and valve springs.

I first used the MP pushrods that came with their 1.6 roller rocker kit but
found out
later that only the tips were hardened and were a little short in length
for this cam.
I also got Hughes recommended valve springs (the ones recommended now are
different from the ones recommended from back then) but they lost their
strength
after two years or racing.

I'm now using fully hardened Crane pushrods which are a little longer in
length.
Same specs except for length as in the conversion kit that Crane has for
the magnum
but Crane lists them for Fords. I'm now using MP valve springs rated for
6300 or so
rpm (I don't have the part # readily available). Still using Hughes'
retainers...
much better than MP retainers.

Just my personal experience.

Bob