Re: RE: Heater Core - Update

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 15:34:13 EST

Josh Battles <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
: We learned about this in my metals class last semester, so I might not
: be right on, we didn't really do anything similar to this. Am I even
: close here? The reaction would need some form of catalyst to get started.

    I don't have much (any) experience in this area, so this is
probably just a waste of time, :-) but would the coolant flow
have anything to do with it? Its going through cast iron heads,
probably some aluminum bits in the water pump, a little brass
maybe, and who knows what other kinds of metals, and its also
flowing through the (aluminum?) heater core. Of course, the
entire engine is grounded, maybe there is an ever so slight
voltage on the heater core, wether from the battery or just
static electricity? Anyway, it seems to me that in either
case, the coolant path provides a great electrical conduit,
so if (for whatever reason) there was a charge somewhere that
got to the coolant, it could also get to pretty much anywhere
the coolant touches. ?

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'