Re: Date for 2006 Denver meet

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 17:28:42 EDT

On Tue, April 5, 2005 4:12 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> Sorry about that; I hadn't had a chance to check out the links yet. :-)

:-) No problem, just trying to stir up the conversation. The sooner we
can get a date picked, the better. Many people have expressed a need to
know the exact date before they can commit to attending. Plus, once we
get the date and campground selected we can start making reservations.

If anyone who is interested in the meet has any input regarding any
date(s) that would work better for you, speak up and we'll see what we can
do.

> July/August seem like the best time to me as well. Looks like we
> definitely want to avoid the springtime due to cold, thunderstorms, and
> hail. :-) Especially important since a large percentage of DMLers will
> be camping.

Particularly if we're camping in the mountains. Even if the main base
camp is at low elevation, I know there was talk of doing a wilderness
campout away from base camp one night while we're there. Unless you're in
to cold weather camping, spring is not the best time to be up in the
mountains.

> Something else in relation to the date... For any date we might
> consider, we should take a look at the track schedules of any local
> dragstrips and/or autocross tracks. I know there are several DMLers
> interested in participating in drag racing, so we should probably
> schedule the meet during a time when the tracks will be open to
> the public. (i.e. not during a national event)

Good idea, I had forgotten about that. Unfortunately, it seems that most
track schedules won't get published for summer 2006 until early spring
2006 (about a year from now). In the mean time, I guess we can look at
this year's schedule and assume next year will be mostly similar. In a
Bandimere Speedway." I'll try to do some more research to see if I can
turn up any relevant information.

> While we are on the subject, another relatively large DML specific
> gathering during this period is the BBQ. I wonder if we can come to
> some sort of concensus on this... Should the national meet preempt the
> BBQ or should we have both? I guess it would depend on the people who
> are planning to attend, I suspect there will probably be some folks who
> will be unable to attend both due to time and/or financial reasons.

Speaking for myself, I probably won't be taking any vacation days for a
BBQ, as I'd rather save them for the Colorado meet. So if there was a
BBQ, we'd only be there on Saturday. I'm sure we'd be there (heck, it's
only a two hour drive for us), but our main focus for the year is going to
be Colorado.