Re: RE: Thinking about inspecting my rear gear

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 07:28:49 EDT

There is enough room under the truck that you can just put a short piece of
tubing on the end of the gear oil bottle and tip it up and pour it in threw the
fill hole. No need to invest in a pump.

To actually measure and determine back lash you need a dial indictor and some
sort of mount (most common is a magnetic base mount) to attach it to the
housing. You set it up with the pointer on a tooth close to tangental to the OD
of the ring gear. Rotate the ring gear back and forth to measure the clearance
between it and the pinion gear. When setting up new gears you adjust for .006"
to .009" of back lash. Used gears are going to be looser .010" to 0.013" (not
sure on the exact numbers, check FSM). The service limit will have a max back
lash that is even a looser again (you will have to consult the FSM for a
service limit).

FWIW, I have 3.92's in my 99 Dakota with an open rear end.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4