2-piece driveshaft vibration (the real msg.)

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 18:53:13 EDT

DML:
      sorry, the first message was a dud. here's the real one:

I have the Dak Club Cab with the 2-piece drive shaft. a 46RH at one end, and a stock
3.55 rear gear at the other. NO MODS TO SUSPENSION. its stock height. and stock
wheels/tires.

Ever since my 46RH tranny was replaced i get a vibration at 70 to 90 MPH. the vibration
matches wheel speed. i can feel it when i put my hand on the cab floor near the "hump"
or drive shaft tunnel. and i can also hear it faintly. put truck in neutral while at
highway speed and the vibration is still there. as truck slows down, the tone of the
vibration gets lower and lower. ( its like a faint drone sound )

other work done at the same time as tranny was the u-joints. all of them.

i took the truck back to the shop and the checked driveshaft angles. they found that the
driveshaft angles were about 3 degrees off and they corrected it by inserting some
spacers between tranny mount and frame. now the drive shaft angles are within 1 degree
of perfect. they also looked for any weights on the driveshafts that may have gotten
lost. they are all there. looked for dents. no dents in shaft.

but the vibration is still there. so, what can it be? rear gear backlash -or- that
drive shaft center support bearing?

when you push up and down on the driveshaft near the center support bearing should it be
able to move? or should it be pretty well fixed in one location within the bearing?

p.s. the driveshafts, rear gear and axles are all original from manufacturer.

-dan

Dan K.
'92 Grey Dak CC, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.55 rear, 235/75R15, PS, PW, PB, PL, AC.

Mods: Cool air, K&N oil/air, Autolite 3924s, re-located IAT.

Future: Swap motor for a slightly modified Magnum 5.9L engine.

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/