Re: Re: air conditioner clutch intermittent

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 08:06:40 EDT

I had an intermitant open in the clutch coil of my 99. Wound up replacing the
coil (well actual you can only get it as an assembly of coil and clutch). Have
you checked to see if when it's not pulling in there is a magnetic field? Just
check with a screw driver, they are quite powerful electro magnets so if it
feels weak you could have a bad connection. And yes there are shims between the
clutch drive and the compressor shaft to allow for adjusting the gap.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

In article <d7pfgh$ddr$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, andy.cole@lmco.com writes:

> > engages. Any ideas?<<<
> >
> > when was the last time is was oiled and or recharged? that could be the
> > issue?
> >
> > -miggity
> > Newport News VA
> > 2000 FR R/T CC
> >
> > 14.88 @ 92.50
> >
> > "...you have no chance to survive make your time..... hahaha."
> >

> If there is 12 volts at the coil, the clutch should make irreguardless of the
> condition of the rest of the system, which by the way is in good order. I am
> energizing the clutch by disconnecting the connector and jumpering straight
off
> the battery and seeing the same indications. I believe that the gap may be
too
> large between the flex plate armature and the face of the rotor assembly.
Will