Re: RE: Stored Error Codes - How Long?

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 07:07:00 EDT

FWIW, here in Mass any OBD-II vehicle gets plugged in for a code check in lue
of going on the rollers for the driving cycle emisssion test. I found out the
hard way after working on a couple of family member's cars that if you clear
the codes with a scan tool immediately (with in a few days) before going for
the emission test you get turned away. Apparently a bit gets set when you clear
the codes the tool they use in the inspection stations read this bit and will
not allow the inspection to continue until the code is cleare by x start
cycles. Both family members were told to come back in a couple of weeks.

My recomendation would be not to use the scan tool at this point.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4