Re: Gas Mileage and Tire Pressure

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 13:23:06 EDT

The Firestone tires were likely P235/75's and the Duellers are LT235/75. The P
stands for passenger and LT light truck. The LT tires will have more plys and a
general heavier construction (and won't ride as nice as the Ps) that allows for
a higher load rating. The max pressure rating on the side of the tire is the
pressure necessary for the tire to safely support the maximum load capcity
marked on the side of the tire.

The sticker on your drivers door is the pressure the manufacturer has
determined to be the best all around compromise (economy, load capacity, ride
comfort and wear) for the vehicle with tires of the same size and rating as
originally provided.

Running the max pressure on the side of the tire on a pickup that is seldom
loaded to it's capacity will provide for some improved economy at the expense
of a harsher ride and accelerated tire wear (in the center of the tread) and
decreased handling (due to the unloaded bed allowing for the back end to skip
around during cornering).

If you do not drive off road and don't load your truck to it's capacity stick
with P series tires with a street tread. They weight less and roller better
than a LT tire with an off road or all terrain tread.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4