More Front Axle Stuff

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 14:15:40 EDT

I dissassembled the passenger side axle shafts - DAMN SNAP RING - and
discovered the cause of the noise. The passenger side stub shaft rides
on a pilot bushing that sits inside the inner axle shaft... it also has
a bearing pressed on its shaft. That pressed on bearing - sits inside
the axle tube. What appears to have happened - is the being unit
seperated. The race seperated from the cone bearing unit. And the back
of the bearing housing was grinding on the bottom of the roller bearings.

Bearings and seals are on their way... thats solved - but I want to
inspect the carrier bearings - and i'm a little uncertain as to how to
remove the carrier assembly.

http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/stuff/7_5_05/differential.jpg

There are the upper and lower carrier bearing bolts on each side of the
carrier... - in the center are L shaped lock brackets? And according to
the FSM - there are "hex adjusters" inside the axle tubes that it says
have to be backed out inorder to remove the carrier? last I checked I
have no such tool that will do that operation for me. do those HAVE to
be backd out? Am I going to screw stuff up if I try to remove it
without backign them out? Do those "L" lock brackets have to be removed
or installed any particulat way? or are they just there to hold those
adjusters in place? Are the adjusters loose in the tube? Could I
makeshift something to turn them back? What about putting them back in?
  Do I have to check any clearences?

I'll have pics of the bearing up soon

****** COUNTDOWN TO 2005 DML BBQ *21* DAYS LEFT! ******
*Caution* Terrible Tom may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds. What
pond?
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine - http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/