Re: Differential Distress

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 17:50:18 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Well folks - take a look
>
> http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/stuff/7_1_05/
>
> I discovered serious wear on the gear teeth after I removed the pin and
> set screw. There are grooves in the surfaces of the teeth

> The pin that secures the two gears in the housing, shows signs of wear
> on one end - (pictured) I don't know if that wear is normal or not.

that wear on the cross pin makes it look like you had some contamination
or just lack of lube in the diff. I also don't like the look of the
spider and side gears (the two splined ones that the axles go into are
the side gears, the two on the cross pin are the spiders) but I don't
know if that's enough wear to cause the grinding you are getting.

don't bother considering replacing those inner gears unless you can get
them from a junkyard or one of us - new gears cost more than a locker!

--
MikeM
'98 SAS CC