Re: Re; Trouble codes

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 20:07:12 EDT

menefreghista <usriflecal30_m1@yahoo.com> wrote:

: I did have this done by a friend a couple weeks ago
: with a Snap On Scanner. It said the Electronic
: Temperature Control Sensor (ETCS) was not working
: correctly. I guess this is the sensor on the passanger
: side of the T-Stat. I replaced it an it still has a
: check engine light????

   What year is your Dak? If its a 1996 or older, it will actually
have two coolant temp sensors; one is a two wire sensor that provides
the temp to the computer, the other is a one wire sensor that provides
the temp to the gauge in the instrument cluster. I don't think the
computer has a way to test the gauge sensor, so it was almost certainly
complaining about the 2 wire sensor. Do you remember if the sensor
you replaced had 1 wire or 2? Anyway - that's one possibility;
perhaps you replaced the single wire sensor. If your Dak is a
1997 or newer, you can ignore that possibility since it only has a
single coolant temp sensor.

   If you did indeed replace the 2 wire sensor, other possibilities
are faulty wiring or a fault in the computer itself. Also, assuming
that the sensor was faulty and you replaced it recently, if you didn't
use the scanner (or disconnect the battery) to turn off the check engine
light, it may be that the conditions haven't been met yet for the
computer to test the sensor and turn off the check engine light.
If you've been driving the truck regularly though during the past
couple of weeks, I would have expected it to be shut off by now.
You might want to leave the battery disconnected for about 5 minutes
which should clear the check engine light, then see if the light
comes back on. If it does, pull the codes again and see what its
complaining about.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'