Re: Check engine & no acceleration

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 15:33:11 EDT

"Chocolate Salty Balls - CSB -" <csb_jk@hotmail.com> wrote:

: I was driving my 2000 Dak SLT 4.7 home today from lunch and the check engine
: light came on. After this happened, the truck seemed to lose quite a bit of
: acceleration. If I punch it the motor revs to about 2k RPM and sits there.
: The truck accelerates slowly. When shifting from 1st to 2nd (it's an
: automatic) the truck jerks a bit. If I pull it out of gear, I am able to
: rev the motor normally both moving, at at a standstill. Has anyone else had
: this problem? I appreciate any help y'all can offer. I'm taking it to
: Dodge soon, but wanted to go in with at least a clue of what might be
: happening.

    It may be whatever triggered the "check engine" light was also
serious enough to cause the computer to put the truck in "limp home"
mode. If you pull the codes, that should give you an idea about
what might be happening. I'm not sure if your codes can be pulled
via the key on/off method (see http://www.dakota-truck.net/codes), if
not almost any auto parts store such as Autozone can pull the codes
for you (no charge). If the truck is indeed in "limp home" mode,
you may be able to restore the full functionality by leaving the
negative battery cable disconnected for a few minutes, but that will
probably also clear out the trouble codes and then you won't be able
to refer to them to try and figure out what happened. It could be
it was a fluke, something like a pocket of water in the gas tank
getting sucked through the line and causing multiple misfires, but
rather than assuming that, if it were me I'd kinda want to try and
figure out exactly what happened.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'