Re: Continuing code/sensor saga

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 22:29:14 EDT

menefreghista <usriflecal30_m1@yahoo.com> wrote:
: Went to Auto Zone and had 95 Dakota 5.2L Auto scanned.

: Bought and replaced:
: Air Charge Sensor
: Coolant Temp Sensor

: No change in truck, continues to run rough when cold.
: Like it needs more timing/fuel.
: Hard to idle after warm start up. But does run fine
: after studdering for a minute.

   If it were a fuel problem, I would suspect that it would also
have a problem while driving (if it can't provide enough fuel at
idle, it has no chance at WOT). So the problem is probably not
too little fuel. If it were too much fuel, you would probably
notice via the smell and smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.
So I would say you can probably ignore the fuel system for now.

   Too little air might be a possibility. Is it able to maintain
RPM at idle but simply runs rough, or is the idle dropping down so
far that it is trying to stall? I believe a normal idle should be
somewhere around 800rpm; if yours is lower than that, you probably
have a problem with the IAC (idle air control solenoid). If you
touch the throttle ever so slightly or crack open the butterflies a
little bit, does that help the idle? If it does, pull off the air
cleaner so that you can watch the IAC plunger, which is at the very
back of the throttle body. Watch the plunger as you have somebody
turn the key to the on position. You should see it move back and
forth slightly. You can also try watching the plunger while cracking
open the throttle blades slightly or creating intentional vacuum
leaks by pulling hoses or caps off the intake manifold. As you
increase the amount of air entering the engine, the RPM should rise,
and you should see the plunger move forward as it attempts to cut
off the flow of air and lower the idle. If you don't see that plunger
moving, chances are good that your IAC is bad. I don't recall if
there is a way to test it with a multimeter or not. I'll check
my '96 FSM and see if you are interested. A new IAC should run
right around $40.

    Another strong possibility is the battery; when they start to
go, all sorts of weird stuff can happen. I'd check the voltage
and also do a load test on it, just to eliminate that as a
variable. (I believe Autozone will do this for you for free in
case you don't have the equipment to do it.)

: Disconnected PCM cable for 5min. No change.

: Transmission wants to leave stop light in 4th
: sometimes and downshifts from 4th to 3rd upon
: decelaration (spell)

: Tranny shop sez some engine sensor probabaly causing
: problem, not transmission.

: Auto Zone did not have:
: Ambient Temp Sensor-will have to order it.
: Could not tell me where it was located on engine.

   That's located on the upper, front, passenger side of the
intake manifold. Throwing parts at it though can be something
of a crapshoot; chances are, by the time you find the faulty
item, you will have spent more than having a local dealer hook
up the DRB and run a diagnostic...

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'