Re: Continuing code/sensor saga-Ambient Temp Sensor

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 15:38:43 EDT

It's not easy but it can be done. You can still get the sensor and
wiring for the ambient temp sensor and to go through the engine bay
to the cab. After that you just need a factory manual and some time
and patience. I am in the process of changing out the carpet and
headliner in my truck so that makes it little easier.

It helps if you get a console with the wiring tail that has been at
least cut off a few inches from the connector at the console. Gives
you a place to tap in. In the console wiring is the wiring for the
auto dimming mirror. If you want to add that you just have to hook it
up to the correct leads at the console, the power leads that you run
form the console are setup to not only power the console but also the
mirror.

Lastly, make sure the console you get comes with the mounting plate.
This no longer available so with it you are out of luck. You have to
cut the headliner and slowly work it back until the bracket will fit
in it's place. The holes for the screws are already there so you just
need to screw it in. The console screws in to that and if you are
careful the console covers up all the jagged edges form cutting the
headliner. I found that this was a good time to just redo the
headliner since it cleans up the hole in the headliner a little and
the fabric is also used on the console itself so you can make that
match perfect.

Last little note, to make the installation easier I looked into
getting a dash harness for the truck that is specific to having a
console. In my case it would have been the '96 harness for a sport
regular cab with the overhead console. This harness actually gives
the power window and lock hookups for the harnesses for the doors.
Great idea, right? Actually no. The harness is not that bad to
install but finding one is near impossible. Since few Gen II dakotas
came with the console that makes it hard and Chrysler seems to have
done a no, no in the business and discontinued the part. They did
that 2 years ago. That parts falls under the 10 year rule they are
supposed to adhere to but I guess they figured the hell with it. So
if you can locate one cudos to you but I have had no luck.

Good luck if you do it and let me know if you have any questions. It
actauly is far easier than it seems except running the wires around.

Jeff Durling