Re: [now] Offroad buggies [was] new guy chimes in

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 12:13:24 EDT

Michael Maskalans said:

> Josh Battles wrote:
>> a motor what that low of an output probably
>> would yield far less performance than was seen in Mike's stolen buggy. I
>> think it would be too heavy for it.
>
> borrowed, eh? !!!

close enough...

> pretty close, yup. I don't recall if the 420# was with floatation or
> without. I think without, as it was at the BBQ (for the east
> competition the cars need to float and propell themselves in water, so
> we have a foam float pan that bolts to the bottom of the car and fenders
> to deflect water rearward)

meh, 5# isn't much of a difference.

>> One that you would end
>> up building out of probably 1018 steel tube would end up being in the
>> neighborhood of 600 pounds without the motor and transmission in it,
>
> only if you really overbuilt!!

These are DML'ers we're talking about... Plus, I'd rather estimate high and
I'm planning on something larger than what you've got.

> last year's car was made from 1"x.049 DOM 1020 and weighed about 460#
> complete. It's quite a bit smaller though and *nowhere* *near* as nice
> to drive or look at (though everything is uglier with a float pan)
> <http://home.tepidcola.com/gallery/mbe05/IMG_0946>

Not too shabby looking. It's definately not as cool looking but as long as
it gets the job done that's what counts. That's not a bad weight though.
I'm going to have to bust out my machinists handbook and check the
differences between 1018 and 1020.

>> much
>> less the driver. I've been estimating that the finished buggy with driver
>> will weigh in probably around 800 - 1000 pounds depending on size of the
>> buggy and the occupant. That's a lot of weight for 8hp if you want to try
>> and have fun with it.
>
> if you build it like we do you're overestimating. that ought to be a
> seat plus full cooler with a 25-30HP engine, I think.

Like I said, I'd rather plan on having it be heavier than it actually is so I
know I've got enough power behind it to really get it moving. Plus I'll be
trying for the AWD setup so there's more for the motor to turn to get the
thing moving.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com