Re: Re: Buggy frame material

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 23:47:45 EDT

Hey, Jon...

 <snip>Non-chromoly, to avoid potential weld issues, right?<snip>

I don't agree with the weldability issues for Chromoly...4130 is one of the
best weldable steel tubes out there...

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/4130.htm

I believe that most bicycle frames are made from a 4130 alloy, but you're
probably gonna be stressing your welds a little more than most bikes would
be subjected to...8-)

  <snip>What about something like 1010 - might be cheaper? I wouldn't even
care about
 the seam, probably... Unless I'm making something that requires one
 tube to ride inside another, I'd be OK with a weld seam to save some
 bucks. <snip>

Generally, you want a carbon range to be MAX .30 (30%) for good welding
results, so 1010 (10%C) might work ...It IS used for a lot of automotive
structural applications

 <snip> While we're on the subject, what is everyone thinking as far as
 the tubing size goes? 1", 1.25", 1.5"? Eighth inch wall, or could
 I get away with thinner? Whatever the thickness, I'd put some magic
 triangles in there to keep the strength up. Basically, I have very
 little experience with buying tubing so I'd be looking for the
 absolute cheapest tubing availble which would be adequate for my
 needs (strength wise).<snip>

You mean TENSILE strength, right? With an Alloy Steel, you may
be able to get some heat treatment done to increase TS...With increased TS,
you may be able to get away with a thinner wall...

I would go to a steel distributor & tell him what you want to build...A
reputable
place - Like Ryerson Steel in Buffalo- will point you in the right
direction...
MOF, I used to deal with a guy named Charlie there...(716) 894 - 3311
He probably won't remember Bob Smith from Watervliet Arsenal (it HAS been
about 8-10 years),
But what the hey...

 Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY