Re: RE: The dealer who sold me the Dak

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 11:29:20 EDT

On 8/12/05, jon@dakota-truck.net <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:

> David Digney <dodgedakotaquadcab@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> : wanted to know,if i wanted an "extended warranty"
> : contract on mt truck.
>
> : I'd like to know your feelings & what those of u have..
>

> It depends; an extended warranty could be anything from 1 month/1000
> miles to to 10 years/100,000 or more. It depends on the length of
> the term, what is covered, and for how much they are offering it to
> you. Another thing to consider is wether it is a Chrysler warranty or
> an aftermarket one. If aftermarket, research the company to see how
> they handle their claims, have they been around for a while, etc.

One important consideration on aftermarket extended warranties is
whether it's a warranty or an insurance policy. Many work like
insurance - you pay for the work to be done, then submit a claim and
hope it's not denied. These companies can and do go under - find out
who's underwriting your policy!

2 important points on a real Chrysler warranty: you can negotiate on
the price, and you can be reasonably sure that they won't go under, so
you'll be covered. Plus, if the vehicle is Chrysler and the warranty
is Chrysler, things will be handled much more smoothly.

Don't forget, you'll probably have a deductible to pay with these too.

Like Jon said, make sure you check VERY CAREFULLY what's covered and
what isn't by whatever plan you decide to buy. Very few are 10/100K
bumper to bumper. As yourself - Does the warranty I'm considering
cover failure-prone or expensive-to-fix areas? Engine and
transmission are a given, but what about axles & suspension/steering
gear?

David, I think you said the truck has 80K on it already. Make sure
the warranty is for whatever time/mileage after you purchase it, not
what's on the truck in total. Shell out $1500 for a warranty that
only lasts till 100K on the odometer? You'd only get 20K of coverage
out of it. Not a good purchase IMO.

Will I get one on my next vehicle? Depends on whether I'm still
putting the mileage on at the rate I'm doing now.