Re: A motor Oil Question..

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 10:55:10 EDT

Andy Levy said:

> Back in March I had the Acclaim inspected (north of 100K) at the local
> Dodge dealer and had them change the oil while they were at it. Basic
> oil, not the high-mileage stuff, nor synthetic. Within 2-3 weeks, the
> oil was *way* low.

Interesting. Is "way low" more than a quart? I've found that if I do a lot
of autocross events in a particulare oil change cycle, I'll go through a
quart of oil in my dak pretty consistantly because of all the time spent in
the upper RPM range. (It did this even when it was new)

> Using Valvoline high-mileage, I lose very little oil between changes.
> The engine still seeps, just not nearly as fast as with regular oil.

Have you tried this? http://www.auto-rx.com/
I've heard fantastic things about it on several of the other forums I'm on.
I've not tried it so I can't comment but I have heard good things.

> Just my experience with that particular car. I know gaskets have
> improved since '93, as have engine tolerances & build quality. I also
> know a lot of us have been using higher-grade oils in our trucks (as
> compared to what this car has gotten) since Day One, which will
> probably start showing once 6-digit mileage comes around.

Mobil 1 since 500 miles. :)

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com