Sun. Aug. 21 Race

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 20:00:03 EDT

Hi Ray,

Long day yesterday! I left home around 9:30 a.m. and
pulled back into the driveway just before 11 p.m. I wish
that I could report that the reason was because of
spectacularly successful race day :-( I did manage
to pick up a couple of points though and move up into
a 4-way tie for 3rd place in the points.

There was a massive turnout of racers which no one
had expected even though the track had scheduled
a few extra races: top sportsman, top dragster,
Ontario Nostalgia Club drag racers and the annual
big Jr. dragsters meet. 30 Jr. dragsters alone showed up!
Of course, the track had a skeleton staff there and
scheduling of time trials and elimination rounds were
just a mess, needless to say.

I was hoping that some good air would move in but,
even though it was sunny and started off with a 15 mph
tailwind (went to a 15 mph crosswind after the first two
time trials), my scanner showed only 29.4" baro. pressure.
Temp. was around 80F and humidity around 50%.
With that low pressure, I wasn't expecting decent ETs
but was really disappointed and puzzled how slow I was
running.

14.70 @ 93.90 on a clean run.
14.67 @ 88.64 when I forgot to set OD to OFF (doh!):-(
14.82 @ 89.41 with a backfire :-(

For round 1, I put up a 14.75 dial and was matched with
a new mid-size Chev with a 14.35 dial. I was so far ahead
that I began whomping really early, crossing ahead of him with
a 14.97 @ 78.74 (my 1/8th speed was 74.53) to his 14.57 @ 93.12.
The timeslip showed why. I had cut a .010 light to his .335.

I left the dial the same for round 2, found out we were on
the ladder and that, because of my .010 light, drew a bye :-)
Forgot to put OD OFF again (!), went into OD, pushed the
OD switch and it caught (!) turning OD off somewhere
between the 1200 and 1250 mark, crossing with a 14.80 @ 88.33.

I drew the points leader in round 3. He's the one who started
off in Mod ET and races a late 60s camaro. He put up
a 12.88 dial and I left mine the same. I screwed up the staging
when I triggered both the pre-stage and stage lights at the same
time :-(, did not compensate enough and bulbed with a -.065
light. I decided to run it out, got the backfire at the 1200' or so,
and crossed with a 14.72 @ 88.97. That round was at 8:45 p.m.
and by time I got everything changed and packed, it was almost
10 p.m.

During the week leading up to Sun., I was trying to come with
better cues so I wouldn't bulb so much. I had a few sets that
I was going to try out. I found that I was cutting .1xx with them
and then realized that the new tires that I bought are nearly
29" diameter compared to the 28" that I had replaced. I came up
with a new cue for time trial #3 and used it for the rest of the
runs.

As far as the backfire problem, we've done compression tests,
leak-down tests, reset fuel sync, tried stock and FSM injectors,
pulled the valve covers to do visual inspection and tests.
Nothing has turned up. We're going to look at the flexplate,
crank and cam sensor pickups. No time to pull the heads.
Looks like I'll just have to live with it :-(

With just 4 races remaining, the field so small and #1 and #2
too far ahead to catch, my goal will be to try for sole possession
of #3 ($150).

Bob