Gen I, melted wiring... now no spark

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 22:42:49 EDT

While replacing my oxygen sensor today, I apparently moved a wiring
harness and it came in contact with my exhaust manifold. I drove about
7 miles and the truck suddenly stalled. Only two wires melted throught
the insulation - a black/orange wire and a green/black wire. I
followed the green/black wire to #10 on the 40-wire cpu connector.
That tells me it's the "Z1" circuit which is fuel pump & injectors. I
havn't checked if they still work yet (how would I check this?) I'm
having trouble following the black/orange wire, I'll have to do that
tomorrow. No wires melted all the way through - only a few strands in
each of the two wires were severed. I wasn't able to splice the wires
on the side of the road, but I made sure they could pass current.
Still no spark. I can't figure out if there's a fuse or fusable link
that could be the culprit. Anybody have ideas? Could I have fried the
cpu? If I did, how would I find out? After work tomorrow I'll go
through it much more thoroughly. I had the damn thing towed home on a
flatbed. Now I'm glad I pay for roadside assistance. Thanks in advance
for any ideas.

Don
'74 Dart Sport 340
'89 Dakota Convertible 4x4