Re: RE: DML Gas Prices

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 13:35:26 EDT

In article <df7c1b$4fc$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> Good point. I only recently learned about this particular problem and
> I was blown away. A gas shortage in one part of the country can't be
supplied
> by a surplus in another part, because the area that has the shortage won't
> allow the different blend to be sold there. Essentially, the area has to
wait
> until the refineries can create their blend from scratch. Having all these
> different government mandated blends is insane, and needs to stop! The
> elimination of that factor alone would probably go a long way towards
> dropping gas prices.

I agree, that's one of the things that will be possible with the recent EPA
waiver announcements. The EPA late on Tuesday said it would temporarily permit
refineries in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee to supply gasoline
meeting a Reid Vapor Pressure standard of 9.0 and diesel with sulfur content
higher than 500 parts per million. On Wednesday, the waiver was extended to
the remaining 46 U.S. states. The policy change will allow more imports of
high-sulfur diesel into the U.S. market and will also allow gas supplies to be
moved from one state to another to augment shortages. Refiners will also be
able immediately to sell gasoline intended for use in the autumn and winter,
when pollution caused by hotter weather is normally not a problem. However, the
EPA waiver is only in effect until Sept. 15th.

Walt