Re: DML Gas Prices

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 14:44:01 EDT

On Thu, September 1, 2005 2:10 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> I know for myself, my brain thinks that gas "should cost"
> about $1 per gallon.

Yep, same here. I remember my dad yelling and screaming about paying a
whole dollar per gallon, and I also remember wondering what the big fuss
was all about. When we drove in to Canada for the 1986 world's fair in
Vancouver, my dad noticed that gas was 33 cents per liter. He made the
comment "I used to pay that much per gallon, now they're charging the same
price for a #%^$@#$! quart!!!" (He refuses to validate the metric system
by acknowledging its existence.)

The other day I heard myself say "I used to pay a dollar per gallon, now
they're charging the same price for a #%^$@#$! liter!!!" It would appear
that my inevitable transformation in to my father is nearly complete.

> Fuel most certainly is hugely important; most of our products are
> transported domestically by truck and train; most imports via ship.
> Airplanes play a role as well. ALL of these require fuel, and if
> you increase the cost of the fuel, the end cost of the product can't
> help but go up. I agree that if fuel prices were reasonable, almost
> everything else that we buy would cost less as well.

Yeah, when you stop to think about it, a huge part of the modern economy
is fundamentally driven by oil, which isn't exactly an infinite resource.
Exactly how finite is debatable. It's kind of scary to think of the chain
reaction that would happen if all the oil suddenly dried up. Eighteenth
century horse and buggy technology, anyone?

OMG, I'm starting to feel animosity toward all those gas guzzling 4x4
drivers. And I'm one of them!!! The horror! If you'll all excuse me, I
need to go sell all of my worldly possessions and move to a hippie commune
in California now.

(Not.)

(No offense intended towards anyone who lives in California, either within
or outside of a hippie commune.)