RE: Rita traffic

From: Pindell, Tim (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 11:35:30 EDT

Keep in mind that my bed is dry and my house is intact, so I may be
blowing smoke. We don't get many hurricanes here in Ohio.

I'm not sure it is a black/white issue, but maybe more of an economic
issue. In many places, to be black often means to be poor as well, and
vice versa. Poor folks, regardless of color, could be desperate enough
to do the looting, and even in recent experience, I doubt it was a large
percentage. I think there may also be a difference between city folk and
country folk with regard to firearms, deadly force, and defense of
property. In this case, it was fortunate that the storm didn't have a
direct hit on a big city. I don't believe that it would be terribly
unreasonable to think that if the hurricane had the same devastating
impact on a major, densely-packed metro area in TX as we had in LA we
may have seen similar looting and lawlessness. Of course, plenty has
been learned in the short time between the two storms to mitigate many
of those after-effects.

In Ohio, I don't think we can use deadly force in defense of property.
Can that be done in TX? As far as I know, in OH, we have to fear for the
safety of ourselves or others in order to justify deadly force.
Thankfully, I've never had to defend myself or home with deadly force
and my firearms only go live at the range. However, one does what one
must do in times of crisis.

Tim