Re: Clutch Life

From: Robert Schultz (not_robert_schultz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 13:22:32 EDT

Josh Battles wrote:
> Robert Schultz said:
>
>>Changed at 90K. Tons of stop-and-go driving.
>>
>>Fixed shifting issues I've had since new.
>

> Please tell me more about these shifting issues. I've got about 85k on my
> 2000 and I'm not getting any noise. I did experience some interesting
> shifting issues and my trans guy keeps telling me that it's not the trans.

Sorry for the delay.

When new the transmission had a problem where there seemed to be a spot
between 2nd and 4th where you could get the shifter stuck.

It would happen especially on a quick 3rd to 4th shift. If I pulled a
little to the side as I shifted, it wouldn't go into 4th, but would be
stuck between 2nd and 4th. Let out the clutch and you were in neutral,
but you couldn't move the shifter side-to-side.

This problem was actually fixed with a tranny swap at 60,000 miles. They
did this under the extended warranty. The truck was in the shop to have
the limited-slip diff fixed (dealer forgot the friction modifier at oil
change time) and they said the 3rd gear noise was excessive. That solved
the third gear noise, by moving it to 4th gear :-(

But for the longest time before that I'd also had problems where I could
not get the tranny to engage after the truck was idling in neutral, like
at a stoplight. The light would turn green and there was no way you
could get the tranny into 1st or 2nd. You'd have to start at third and
work backwards.

This was the problem that finally got me to take it to an independent
shop. Swapped in a new clutch and the shifting is excellent (for a truck).

One of the biggest problems I had with the dealer was the Hurst shifter.
They blamed every transmission problem on that and didn't look very far
after that.

Rob