Re: Gas panic

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 11:39:10 EDT

On Tue, September 27, 2005 6:19 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> Here's a thought that might take it a step further... What if you
> were to create a gas cap (some modification of the filler neck might
> be required to make it convincing) which looks like a propane filler
> plug, and add a label on the inside of the fuel door which says "propane
> only", or similar wording.

Now that you mention it, how much trouble and expense would it be to
convert it to run on propane or natural gas? I see signs all the time
that those are still going for 55 cents per "liter equivalent" whatever
that means. That's the same price it's been for at least the past 5 years
from what I remember. Propane would probably be the better choice, I've
heard the price on natural gas is going to spike way up this winter.

> If you didn't want to go to all that trouble, you could also
> just make up a label for the inside of the door that says "diesel
> fuel only". Might work, especially up there in Toronto where most
> everybody drives econoboxes and the assumption might be that most
> trucks are diesel.

You're assuming that:
- People in Toronto know the difference between diesel and unleaded
- People in Toronto bother to read signs and labels

In my experience, neither is very common. Most people in the big city are
total idiots when it comes to anything mechanical. All they know is they
push on the right pedal to make their car or minivan go fast, and the left
pedal to make it go slow, and put gas in whenever the little picture of a
fuel pump lights up.

Okay, maybe not "most people", but enough to be annoying.

> One drawback to this though is to make sure
> that you are the only person who refuels your truck,

Already do.