RE: DML Fix for Auto Gear Selecter in Dash

From: Zachary Burcham (roadking_dakota@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 10:31:09 EDT

>Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:55:20 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Dan Kramarsky <dkramarsky68@yahoo.com>
>Subject: DML: Fix for Gear Indicator on the dash?
>
>DMLers,
>

>I have an automatic and lately the gear indicator needle in the dash is
>sticking.
>
>It works for all gears except 1st. If I shift from 2nd down to 1st, the
>needle just
>sticks in the 2nd gear position. ( the tranny went to 1st gear but the
>needle did not!
>)
>
>Then when I shift back up through the gears to Park, the needle starts to
>track again
>properly.
>

>any ideas?
>
>Dan K.
>'92 Grey Dak CC, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.55 rear, 235/75R15, PS, PW, PB, PL, AC.
>
>Mods: Cool air, K&N oil/air, Autolite 3924s, re-located IAT.
>
>Future: Swap motor for a slightly modified Magnum 5.9L engine.

Well you are luckier than me, when I hit first the thing will pop off and
then it's like 2-3 positions over till I fix it. Pop off that piece under
the column and look at it. it's a string with a little clip that hooks on a
bracket around the column. Three screws along the bottom of the piece and
it drops out and you can look at it to see what it's doing. I do know that
there is plastic below the braket for almost all of it's travel, except 1st
and maybe 2nd. So maybe it's stopping there and the bracket picks it back
up on travel back to D or P. Whatever you do, don't leverage the bracket
away from the column, I did, can't get it back and it makes things worse.

Zach
92 Dakota 3.9L CC Auto