Re: map of everyone's location

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 11:35:21 EDT

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

: On Fri, October 28, 2005 9:55 am, sneezer@gmail.com said:
:>
:> That way you could distribute the file or
:> post it for download.

: That's not a bad idea, but then you're volunteering yourself to maintain it.
: No matter how easy it is, it'll always be easier if we can have something
: automated that maintains itself. Trust me. When we were trying to get ideas
: where to have the DML national meet, I was collecting people's locations and
: making a map of them. I had it fairly well automated, but it was still a
: hassle keeping track of the e-mails and putting them on the maps, then
: uploading them whenever I got a new e-mail.

  Yep. Here's a blast from the past:

    http://www.dakota-truck.net/MAP/usa.html

    It just got to be unworkable. Using the google thing would be the way
to go, IMHO. The MML has recently started doing this as well. (What the
map administrator for the MML does is to just center the marker on the person's
town as opposed to over their exact location, as a sort of security thing,
against someone stumbling on the map and treating it more like a shopping
list of cars they would like to steal.) ;-) I don't know how much security
that actually provides since if you have somebody's name and town it shouldn't
be too difficult to locate them.

: This new site appears to use Google maps, right? Does it keep track of itself
: with minimal intervention? That would be pretty cool, IMHO. Where was this a
: year ago? :-)

   Or 8 years ago, for that matter. (see "blast from the past, above")
Yet again, we were just ahead of our time. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 67 Coronet, 70 Cuda, 90 Dakota 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dakota | | 96 Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly, 99 Cherokee, 01 Ram 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'