Re: tires

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 21:52:05 EDT

"Eric Luce" <ontheluce@adelphia.net> wrote:

: I have a question regarding replacement tires for my Dak. I am looking
: strongly at the Bridgestone replacements, and need some advice. I have the
: stock 15X8 rims currently, with 235x70x15 tires that are getting low on
: treadlife. I run paved roads almost exclusively, seldom in snow (only if
: necessary), and do some occassional towing. I only have 2WD, non
: limited-slip (actually 1-wheel drive). Was wondering what size you would
: recommend as a little wider replacement, yet keeping about the same heighth?
: Also, would I be better off with the Dueler APT's, or the AT Revo's , and
: why ?? Both seem to get great reviews. Tire noise and wear are strong
: considerations also. Thanks in advance for you input. I'm looking forward
: to the various opinions.

   Although I don't have any brand specific info, maybe a bit of what
is about to spew from my brain will help in some way...

    On an 8" wide rim, you can technically go up to around 295 or so,
although that is pushing it. I'm guessing you are looking to go with
the same tire on all four corners, as opposed to "big 'n littles"?
Keeping the same size on all four corners is probably preferable for almost
every type of driving except drag racing so I'll assume that's what you are
looking to do. That being the case, you do have to concern yourself with
the front tires rubbing when turning. (The backs aren't a problem, you
could put pretty much anything back there, and they'd clear.) That said,
perhaps something along the lines of a 255/65 R15 would do the trick? They
would give you just over 3/4" more width, the sidewall height is practically
identical, and so is the overall height. The 255s would be a tenth of
an inch taller, which isn't even enough to throw your speedometer off by
half a mile per hour at 100mph. So, for all practical purposes, the 255s
are identical except for some additional width. Plus, I think they *should*
be a relatively common size. Another nearly perfect match, height wise is
a 275/60 R15 but that's probably getting a bit too wide. People *have*
run these on (GenII) Dakotas, but I would be very surprised if they
didn't have some severe rubbing issues up front.

   If you haven't already, feel free to check out the DML Wheel and Tire
calculator at: http://www.dakota-truck.net/tirecalc That will allow you
to find tires that are a close match, and compare them to see the effects
on your speedometer, etc. The tires that it suggests don't always exist,
and there are other factors such as cost to take into consideration, but
you may find it useful to narrow down the options, or plug in the specs
on a tire you find to see how it compares to your current ones.

  Good luck!

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 67 Coronet, 70 Cuda, 90 Dakota 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dakota | | 96 Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly, 99 Cherokee, 01 Ram 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'