Re: How to go about buying a wrecked truck

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 10:21:02 EST

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Gary Hedlin wrote:

> Sorry to say, but your best bet IS getting lucky and finding someone
> with a wrecked truck to sell. Even if you find one in a junkyard,
> theres 3 problems youre going to run into:
>
> 1. When a wrecked vehicle is sold to a salvage yard, a salvage title is
> issued. So if you fix it up you won't be able to title it, get plates,
> or insurance. BUT if your going to just use it for off-roading, this
> may not be a problem.

when a vehicle is totalled, in most states the title is surrendured to the
state and if the vehicle is resold you can apply for a salvage title. the
vehicle will need to be submitted to the state for inspection and a
salvage title will be issued.

there is no problem registering a vehicle with a salvage title, I don't
know about any possible extra insurance expense but I would be surprised
if there were any issues there.

the salvage title is just a black mark on the vehicle that warns possible
buyers that it's been wrecked and rebuilt, that's all. it's still
entirely road legal.

But this isn't Tom's concern anyway - he wants a donor for parts.

> 3. You'll probably find out the prices for a chasis or a body sky high.

any semi complete vehicle a yard will ask a lot of money for. they are in
the business of parting things out so they know what it's worth. go
private party, check classifieds, ebay, roadsides.

> But if you get lucky and buy a wrecked one from a private party, you've
> got to be carefull. Run the vin through carfax AND ask the person if
> there was an accident report. If there is none, just transfer the title
> ***Not sure how legal this is*** If nothing pops up you might get lucky.

there's no reason to be that scared of an accident report.

as long as the title is transferable, so what? and again, in this case, a
title isn't needed at all - it's just for parts, and since his truck has a
clean title it doesn't matter what parts he puts on it or if he has
receipts for them.

> If I were you, and I just wanted something for the ponds, I'ld find 4
> jackstands and start looking for a frame. :) Just use the Johnny Cash
> method and build it a piece at a time! :)

makes far more sense to start with a wreck and fix it up if you're
starting from nothing. at least then you have something complete to start
with and something to play with before you're 100% complete. starting
ground-up is very intensive and requires money and dedication.

--
MikeM
SAS Dak