Re: Transmissions - I need a little skooling!

From: Zito, James A \(GE Energy\) (james.zito@ps.ge.com)
Date: Sat Nov 05 2005 - 19:00:20 EST

Tom,

Here is my take, granted I am not sure if I did it right, on tranny work. Also it isn't a Dodge it was TH400 GM tranny. I rebuilt the one out of my 442, car is probably 2-3 years from moving again, slow body man.....

If you have basic mechanical ability, and a decent book to work from a tranny isn't that hard. What scares most folks is they think they need to know which one of the freaky wormlike passages the oil should be flowing though in the valve body when. You don't need to know this.

On the TH400, the biggest issue was getting the splined clutch drums to engage in the splines of the frictions. The trick that wasn't listed in the GM tranny god book was told in the GM FSM engage the clutch with air pressure after lineing up all the splines, then insert.

Other than that it was no harder than setting up a valve train on a push rod engine.

The above being said,I have no clue what a Dodge tranny looks like inside.

However, I still say go for it....what is the worst that can happen?

Jim
03 CC Dak missing 2 slugs
69 442 conv still in too many pieces