Another possible option for Christine

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 23:08:01 EST

I've been mulling over the prospects that I laid out for an engine
choice... and I've done a rough estimate of what my costs are going to
be to get to Denver. And I dont think I can afford to pull a powertrain
swap right now. I don't want to do it half assed either. What I wish I
could do is strip it down and frame off resto it and build it the way I
want. I havn't got enough time to do that. So....

I pulled the heads off my old premagger (the one I roasted at BBQ number
4, in 2002) and it looks just like what I expected to see. Scored
cylinders... no signs of crosshatching... and blackened pistons and
combustion chambers from excessive oil consumption.

I am planning on rebuilding this engine for my own experience... and I
thought - why not change the compression ratio? If I bump the CR a
little - - not extreme... that should yield the additional power I want
from the V6, keep my costs down, I can use a stock tranny... and I can
throw a carb on my premagger manifold and eliminate the electronics.

Here are my questions - - what will a CR bump do to fuel economy? I
can alter the fuel economy with the carb tuning... if I don't go
aggressive I can still run pump gas - maybe midgrade. I did a figure on
fuel costs - and if I drive 3500 miles round trip - with the Ram, it
will cost me $800 for fuel, at about $2.60 per/gal. Not to mention I'm
thinking about going on into California and maybe up to Oregon. So if I
do that - I'm looking at maybe 5000 miles driving. With fuel costs WELL
over a grand. A V6 with better highway fuel economy would be much more
desirable.

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine