Re: Christine's Plans For Denver (WAS: Transmission Skooling)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 15:37:08 EST

Andy Levy <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote:

: On 11/6/05, DAKSY <rsmith13@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
:>
:> Hey, Mr. Steiger!
:>
:> <snip> http://www.jonsteiger.com/temp/CNC/
:>
:> Its a work in progress - I have a couple of details I still
:> need to iron out, then it all has to come apart again for paint.<snip>
:>
:> Doesn't look ballsy enuff to be a mill - or a water jet... is that a
:> LASER!?!?!?!

: Not a laser, it's not attached to a shark's head :)

   Yep, plus if I could afford a laser, I'd have a heck of a lot more
cars than I do now, and a much bigger barn to put 'em in! :-) The
table actually could be used for a water jet, laser, etc. just
depends on what you want to mount on there. (I built a pen mount for
it so it can be used as a big plotter as well.) I went with plasma
since I already had that machine, and although a water jet would
be very sweet indeed, for my use the consumable life is just too
short. (The abrasive you need to use with a water jet eats up
parts something fierce.)

: That's just his plasma cutter. Looks like Jon's got it pretty much
: operational now, he didn't at Daktoberfest.

   Yep, I already had the plasma cutter, this just mounts the hand
torch on a table - which saves the cost of having to purchase a
machine torch. I did have to crack the machine open and do a little
wiring to allow remote control of the pilot arc, but that was
relatively simple. I've used it a bit but I'm not completely happy
with the quality yet, I need to tweak it a bit and also experiment
with different gauges, power settings, speeds, etc.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 67 Coronet, 70 Cuda, 90 Dakota 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dakota | | 96 Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly, 99 Cherokee, 01 Ram 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'