RE: Front Control Arms

From: JameyWelch@freightliner.com
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 22:20:25 EST

Are you throwing any codes right now?

-No, I'm not throwing any codes.

If your truck is out of alignment, it can be hell for your mileage.
Poor alignment can also lead to uneven tire wear, which can also serve to
further deteriorate mileage.

-Tires are very, very worn. No $ to replace. Any suggestions for a good,
cheap tire?

First things first, I'd get those ball joints replaced and then get the
truck aligned. That alone ought to make a difference. Once you've got that
ruled out, it should be easier to start isolating what other
problem(s) you might have.

How much oil are you losing? Does it leak at all?

-Less than a quart per 5,000 miles.

For the sake of completeness, I'd also send an oil sample to Blackstone when
you change the oil next time to be sure there isn't anything nasty (like
coolant, lots of metal, etc.) in your oil.

-What is Blackstone and how do I contact them?

Anyway, start with the ball joints and the alignment -- that's most
definitely contributing at least slightly to your mileage problem.
There are countless other things that *could* be the problem, but we're just
speculating until you solve something that *is* part of the problem.

-Bill