RE: winter beaters

From: rll (charger69rt@cox.net)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 17:04:29 EST

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
: sean bruckman wrote:
:> I would check with the DOT in your area to see what
:> kind of salt they use. In my limited understanding,
:> what you see on the road can tell part of the story.
:> Clearly if there are white stains on the road surface
:> along with big white crystals, you have salt.

: Heh - yeah - we use pure salt. Two days after a snow storm, you can go
: out to the road and chisle some of the ground up and put it in your
: dinner table salt shakers.

: Hell with just the little bit of snow we got here now, maybe two - three
: inches at absolute most... the Ram looked like it had been dunked in
: powedered sugar, it was so white from salt.

hello list

I presently live in phx az so salt in winter no longer a problem...

I grew up in Minnesota, St. Cloud area....

Calcium Cloride was the vehicle destroyer the state of Minn chose.

The hot setup for used vehicles that weren't rotted out, was to go to N.Dakota to
buy a rust free car.

At the time they used cinders or gravel only, no salt.

My first car (in 1965) was a 56 Plymouth...totally rusted....you could watch
the road go by below the drivers' door.

My second car was a 55' ford 2dr sedan...no rust....

The first owner had two water pipes installed in his garage under is car.

He had drilled small holes in the pipes to spray off the bottom of his car any
time the roads he traveled were salted.

He only did it for one minute.

It kept 10 years of salty roads from causing any damage

He passed away before i had a chance to buy his next car from him....

rob in phx