Re: RE: winter beaters (Now: SRT-10)

From: sean bruckman (brukmann@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 22:58:05 EST

I know for sure that the SRT-10 only carries the 8.3
500hp 505tq V-10. It's easy to spot and would be very
costly to make a regular ram look very much like it.
It uses lots of off the shelf viper parts like similar
brakes and suspension components. also, the wheels are
massive, unmistakable as being bigger than the big
20inchers you can get on the ram. carmax may have made
the mistake that jim pointed out.

as for the last-gen ram 8L and the viper 8L being the
same, that has always been a matter for debate. dodge
has always vehemently denied that they were the same
design; one iron, one alum. with heavy mods. but they
were designed and put into production on an almost
identical schedule, they share the same 488
displacement, bore and stroke... people will still say
that they're 'totally different', but the truth is
some of the major components are interchangable, even
if you would be nuts for thinking it was a good idea
in anything but the most rare case. i did a lot of
research back when i cooked up the idea to buy a '94
ram, which at that time you could order the regular
cab with the v-10. even then, the regular cab v-10
could only be had with a long bed, which i planned on
replacing with a short bed and shortening the frame
yada-yada-yada really long story slightly shorter, i
figured out you could probably use a lot of viper top
end components on a modified iron bottom.

Sean Bruckman
'00 Solar 4.7 RC 5-spd

http://mail.yahoo.com