Re: OBD1 OBD2

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 00:22:16 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> : James Calder wrote:
> :> Is the diagnostic connector for an OBD1 '93 Daokota and OBD2 '96 Dakota the
> :> same?
> :> : Nope - not the same at all.. the data link on OBDI Daks is a plug on the
> : passenger side at the firewall. All OBD2 plugs are under the dash on
> : the drivers side.
>

> That's correct, in fact, that's actually a part of the OBD-II
> standard. IIRC, OBD-II mandates that the connector must be within
> three feet of the steering wheel. So, usually they end up being
> on the driver's side, under the dash simply because most vehicles
> don't lend themselves to having the port being in the dash itself,
> and unless its a very small car, putting the port on the passenger
> side is probably going to be stretching things a bit.

there are exceptions to that rule however Jon, in my time at the Zone,
I've come to know that heh. VW Jetta's (mid to late 90's at least) have
the test port located behind alittle plastic rectangle cover in the
center portion of the dashboard - to the right of the 12v lighter/power
outlet.

And on - what I think was an Acura or a Honda, little red two door 4
banger coupe, it is on the passenger side of the center of the dash -
just about where the passengers left knee would be.

So... not everyone follows the drivers side dash rule.

Older Ford OBDI setups are the worst to deal with. The connectors are
NEVER in the same places between models... The models that have that
system are older now... so they are usually corroded and nasty from the
elements under the hood...

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
89 Dakota - 89 Dakota 4x4 - 95 Dakota 4x4 - 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine