Re: Weird "MAINT REQ'D" light

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 16:01:46 EST

Dan Kramarsky wrote:
> My "MAINT REQ'D" ( or maintenance required ) light is going on and off.
>
> When the engine is cold in the morning, like when I drive to work, the light is OFF.
> But when I'm just about 5 minutes of getting to my destination the light comes ON.
>
> In the late afternoon when I drive home. The light comes on immediately and stays on
> till I get home.
>
> No codes are being thrown. Just the MAINT light.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -dan
>
> Dan K.
> '92 Grey Dak CC, 318, 4x2, 46RH, 3.55 rear, 235/75R15, PS, PW, PB, PL, AC.
>
> Mods: Cool air, K&N oil/air, 180* T-Stat, Autolite 3924s, re-located IAT, Trans-Go shift kit.
>
> Future: Swap motor for a slightly modified Magnum 5.9L engine.

Hey Dan - the Maint REQD light really means nothing. Its a built in
"reminder" light to have the emissions systems inspected. I've pulled
the bulbs out on my instrument clusters so that I don't have to deal
with them. The Check Engine light is the one you want to worry about if
it comes on. I am pretty sure a Stealer has to turn them off... for
which they will happily charge you $65 or so... in the process, trying
to sell you repairs you may or may not need.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine