Transmission Question/Intro

From: Craig Faison (cfaison@magpage.com)
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 18:24:39 EST

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, meaning to get around to
introducing myself. Well, now I've got a question, so what better time?
;-)

First the question, in case my intro puts you to sleep...

'01 Dakota quad cab 2wd, 3.9l auto, 48,500 miles. When the truck is cold
(first 10 minutes of driving or less), and I'm travelling with the OD
locked out, I get a loud "whistling" sound at 53-54 mph. It'll continue as
long as it's held to that speed, but will quit at speeds faster or slower.
It will also quit as soon as the OD is unlocked and the trans shifts.

Trans fluid level is correct and it doesn't look or smell burnt.

At first, I thought it was a bad installation job of an aftermarket
windshield - it's that kind of whistle - but in trying to pinpoint the
source, I came up with the above. Weird. Any thoughts?

An intro: I live in North East, MD and have a toddler and an infant.
Needed 4 doors, but wanted a smaller truck. The Dakota was really the only
choice after looking at everything out there and comparing it to my needs.
Had to be a cash purchase (I hate a car payment), so that's why it's an
'01 and not anything newer.

I had a '93 Dakota (3.9l, 5 speed) a few years back that I put 185,000
miles on with little trouble. A motor mount, a couple of tune ups, tires &
brakes and a couple of fuel pumps (I've since broken my habit of running
to empty on every tank). Oh, and a timing chain - it was a bit noisy and I
changed it as a preventative thing, but it probably would've never been an
issue. I'm hoping for the same sort of reliability out of this Dakota, but
the trans has me nervous. I've avoided autos for years because of a fear
of failure - I finally talked myself out of that and here I am...

Thanks for any ideas,
Craig