Re: Diffy Go Boom

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 20:08:51 EST

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2005, at 17:59, Gary Hedlin wrote:
>

>> jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>>
>>> As far as the rest of the drivetrain goes, having the diff grenade
>>> in such a fashion as to lock everything up would be the same as just
>>> mashing the brakes and locking up both rear tires, right?
>>

> with one BIG difference: in a burnout you're hard on the gas. if you
> slam on the brakes you're off the gas with MUCH less stress on the
> driveline.
>

>> Thats kinda my feeling too, but I was equating it to driving down the
>> road and doing something like driving down the road and just slamming
>> it in reverse.
>

> seems more along the right lines to me as far as stresses involved.
>
>> If something that adrupt happens, you would think either the neutral
>> saftey switch would kick in, or the trans just puke.
>

> I've seen you mention this twice Gary. What's thie neutral safety
> switch? The only NSS I know of is in a manual transmission that checks
> to see if the trans is in neutral or the clutch pressed versus in gear.

Automatics have NSS's as well. In our automatics, this switch is a
combination switch. Its what prevents the engine from starting in any
other shifter positions besides park or neutral. It also is the switch
that outputs power to the back up lights. Its in the drivers side of
the trans just aft of the cooler line hookups.

I wasn't aware the switch had a kill function as Gary indicates it does.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine