Re: Computer backups

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 13:06:40 EST

On 12/14/05, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

> On Wed, December 14, 2005 12:35 pm, Andy Levy said:
> >
> > I have all my photos for the
> > last 4+ years on a single IDE drive, as well as my 62GB+ of MP3s on
> > that same drive. Only a matter of time.
>
> Don't say we didn't warn you...

Oh, I know I'm playing with fire. I've just been too lazy/cheap to
get a backup solution. Real Soon Now, I swear. 200GB drive and an
enclosure and I can do a full backup of both 80GB hard drives.

> > I've been less than impressed with hardware RAID5.
>
> Linux software RAID > Windows "hardware" RAID (assuming it's actually even
> done in hardware).

The RAID setup we had on those servers was definitely hardware, which
should make it OS-agnostic for the most part. The controllers just
didn't handle failed drives gracefully. Or maybe the drivers didn't
handle the notification gracefully. Either way, it was a royal pain.