Re: Plenum Gasket Replacement?

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 12:54:11 EST

On Tue, December 20, 2005 9:58 am, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Feel free to use my MPI intake install guide:
> http://www.steigerperformance.com/docs/MPIIntakeManifoldInstallationGuide.pdf

Thanks!

> Its oriented towards installing an MPI, but documents the procedure
> of removing the stock manifold, and of course, re-installing the
> stock manifold is going to be similar to installing the MPI. Its
> a pretty straightforward process, I don't really anticipate any
> surprises for you. You'll want to get a new intake gasket and bolt
> kit (4897383AC), and you should probably purchase a coolant bypass
> hose (H0063735) while you're at it, they're only $5 or so and that's
> worth not having to tear into the motor again a couple of years down
> the road. You can probably leave the thermostat housing attached to
> the intake manifold to save yourself from having to buy a new t-stat
> gasket; its not a big expense but might save you a couple of minutes. :-)

Cool, thanks Jon.

> I include some 5/16-18 dowels in my MPI install kit for
> locating the manifold on the block, which helps to make sure it
> sits down in the right place the first time so you don't have to
> wiggle it around and disturb the gaskets and RTV, but since you
> won't be re-using the stock bolts, you can just cut the heads off
> of some of them and use 'em for that. Its not a requirement or
> anything, but does help to install the intake.

Why aren't the old intake bolts reused? I've always reused the bolts in the
past. (non-dodge applications)

> The cost is more expensive than it used to be, unfortunately. IIRC,
> Mopar Performance really jacked up the cost of the manifolds a couple
> of years ago. I don't know what the current going rate is, but you
> could run the part numbers at Summit Racing or Mancini Racing's web
> site aught to have the prices too. If you go with the 4bbl manifold,
> you're basically on your own as far as an install kit goes (that's why
> I created the install kits in the first place). If you use the 2bbl
> manifold, Mopar Performance has an install kit for that one. If you
> were to install the manifold on a street driven Ram, the 2bbl would
> probably be the better choice due to its better midrange performance.
> However, now that the prices are so much higher than they used to be,
> I honestly don't see much bang for the buck in this area anymore,
> especially on a heavy truck like a Ram. If it were my truck I'd just
> R&R the beer barrel. You'd have to check around for the best and latest
> prices, but I think that swapping to the MPI manifold would cost you
> somewhere in the neighborhood of $450-500 when its all said and done.

That's about what I figured. I don't know what she wants to do with the
truck performance wise so I'll leave it up to her. I do know she wants to
lower it (yay) and get some paintwork done this summer so we'll see. I'll
pass this on to her.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com