Re: RE: rear axle interchangeability, or discs on a 1999

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 17:20:02 EST

jldenning@earthlink.net wrote:
: So, I've decided to stick with the 8.25. I'm going to convert to a lsd and
: would be interested in recommendations. My truck gets lots of highway use,
: some towing a light trailer, and spends a few weekends per year in the sand of
: the Outer Banks (North Carolina). Plus various woods.

: RE the brakes. If the local shop can flip to discs on my 1999 8.25 axle I'll
: go that route. I'm thinking of having Adrenaline Off Road LLC of Burtonsville
: Md. do the work. If we find of the shelf bolt on discs for the rear, what
: about brake bias. Does anyone have thoughts on how to ensure the bias is
: correct?

  You should be able to throw an aftermarket proportioning valve in
there. Hot rods use 'em all the time, they are adjustable so you can
dial in the exact front/rear brake bias you want. I've never purchased
one so I have no idea what they run, but you should be able to find
them in all the usual places (Summit, Jegs, etc.). Just do a search
for a proportioning valve. I've never done it myself but I believe
the process is basically to install the thing, set the majority of
the bias to the front and then just go make some panic stops and keep
adjusting it until you get the braking you want.

   BTW, as far as rear discs go, IMHO, its not really worth the
trouble or expense to swap 'em in place of rear drums. (Front drums,
yes...) However, I will admit that working on discs is a heck of a
lot easier than drums, so it might be worth it to you from that aspect,
but just be aware that there isn't going to be an appreciable
performance difference.

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'